Sunday, June 18, 2006

One more museum

Our first Saturday back in Canada we went to yet another museum, just to compare: the Museum of Civilization in Hull. We'd driven past it before, and I've always liked the way it looks - layers of limestone just like the cliffs in Ottawa - but we'd never been in it before.

My tolerance time for museums is about 2 hours. We were there for 3 hours before being kicked out at closing time. The exhibits are what I had been hoping for in Turkey and Greece and Egypt. There weren't acres of identical stuff that would only mean something to an expert. In the West Coast First Nations part they'd chosen the best items and displayed them in a context that gave some idea of their significance. On the Europeans in Canada floor you walked through the last 1000 years of Canadian history and felt like you were there. If the early parts are as accurate as the 20th-century displays (which made me feel like I'd slipped back into my childhood), they're good.

This is the best museum we've seen in the last year. Click on the title above to see something about it.

No comments: