Wednesday, February 09, 2011

To Timbuktu and back - my trip to Mali

Mali. The third poorest country in the world. Home of Al-Qaeda and Tuareg terrorists. A place you need at least 8 shots before you visit; where you have to take anti-malaria medication daily while you're there and for a week after; where you're crazy to eat the lettuce and almost certainly will get gut-twisting turista anyway. Why would anyone want to go there.

I did.

Last November I was browsing through Piecework magazine, a lovely little magazine about fibre arts and crafts around the world and through time, and I saw an ad for Behind the Scenes Adventures and their tours of parts of the world of interest to textile people. Something about their trip to Mali seized my imagination and wouldn't let go. A few hours later I'd signed up.

So that's how it came to pass that on January 20 I found myself, all on my own, flying across the Atlantic to Amsterdam.

Over the next few days I'm going to show and tell you something about my adventures.

No comments: